Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Who wants to talk about art?

Arg.  hmmmm.  Well, it seems I've lost something that I really could have used for a long long time.  Feedback, insight, ideas...something to stoke the fire.
Well, bring it on, babies, let's discuss.  Laske-Miller, you are in the textile industry (using that term, 'industry', oh, so loosely) and I haven't seen any of your latest work.  Is it all clothing for clothing sake or are you working on other things, maybe a little more non-objective, less functional?  And where the hell is my clothing?  A dress?  A nice blousey blouse?  Or maybe a hat?  Naw, I'm not big on hats.
Matthew, what are you writing these days?  yeah yeah, I need to look at your blog.  I want to know what's going in your head...well, sort of...I mean, it is you.  har har
Art for art's sake.  Is everyone on board with that?
Who else out there is reading this?
John?  You still keeping tabs?  You're writing some still...how far are you going to push it?
Cahill (because I know another Tim who reads this), what the heck are you doing?  Your book?  Have you gotten in the studio lately?
What is is going down with everyone???

I guess this is my blog, huh?  Can't really ask so many questions.  Just want to get some responses.

Here, I will talk about something else...completely different.
Henry doesn't watch a lot of TV usually, but at night, I give him an hour to two hours, depending on what the day's been like.  I try to watch some of it with him, since he's been watching these tweeny shows like Victorious, Big Time Rush... all those singy pop artisty shows.  I'll admit, I might enjoy them a tad at times, just to completely zone out for a while.  And it's good because Henry and I have weird good conversations while we watch.
What I've noticed, and this is so telling on me, is how so very hopeful the songs are in these shows.  Even a break up song by Big Time Rush sounds fantastically fun for someone who just was told it was over.
Here are the lyrics...Oh, they are really really bad, don't worry, I know...

"Dance hard, laugh hard
Turn the music up now
Party like a rockstar
Can I get a what now?"

"Can I get a what now?"  ??? What the hell does that mean?  Who cares?  It makes me laugh every time I hear it and I'm hearing it a lot with Henry around and his lilting singing voice.

Everything is just so simple.  All the girls and boys so confident in who they are and what they believe.
I think that all went away around the age of 25 for me...maybe not completely until I was 30(29, when I got preggers?).  I never sang pop songs, but you know, that confidence in life and love was there.

That's it.  I've got work to do.  I can't sit here and ramble on about teenage boys and girls all day...that would be mildly disturbing if I did, no?    It's just interesting what age will do...even the teenage angst holds something pure.  And by the way, I'm not getting this just from TV, I see it in real live kids with real lives.

All right back to work all of you!

Love to all and all to love,
Beth
 
I like this picture because it looks like I am either in a very small house, or I am a giant. heh.

4 comments:

Beth Laske-Miller said...

Allright already. I shall attempt to illuminate. Current irons in the fire are:
-Designing & sewing a very foofy Belle gown for a production of Beauty & the Beast. Not my style, but I gets paid! And mama likes to get paid. Dress is designed, patterned, cut & partially sewn. It was the source of the raging math yesterday.
-I am working on developing a sustainable & organic clothing line with a designer I worked with several years ago. Right now it's in the research phase, as I need to find fab sources for certified organics.
-Designing & patterning costumes for "Pridelands" (think Lion King). Should have about 80 costumes. Again, I gets paid.
-Will work as a Cutter/Draper for Chicago Shakespeare's MacBeth coming up in November. Also working occasionally as overhire costumer for Goodman Theatre.

That's on the professional end.

Personally:
-My boy is very tall & skinny, so rather than support evil corporate department stores clothes that don't fit anyway; I took it upon myself to design some new pants for him in every (acceptable) colors. So far I've finished 3, plans for at least 3 more.
-I'm developing some knitting patterns for some awesome hats & accessories. They're 1920s-inspired with a little bohemian thrown in. Like them a lot! The mindset for designing for knitting is vastly different from designing for fabric. (learning curves suck)
-I still do a fair amount of sketching & painting, though the sketching is often work or garment-related, though I surprised myself by getting a pile of good sketches done very quickly for this Pridelands thingy.
-In painting I'm going for large-scale magnified nature stuff. Current fave is a red maple leaf on a light blue background that is 24 X 36. It may turn into a series.

Gotta dash to pick up the boy, I may ramble more later though.

Beth Rosenkoetter said...

Wow, that's a lot of stuff.
Yes, we need to do those things that gets more snaps in our pockets.
So post some pics. Is your blog even up and running?
Hey, I want to point out that I posted this blog at 11:11...very significant, I think.
These are all very good and interesting things you are working on.
I need to sketch more. Why don't I?

Beth Laske-Miller said...

I have switched blog-teams. I can now be found at blmillerdesign.posterous.com. It's mostly work stuff, but I have big plans to update it with more personal & random stuff. Big plans, yup, big plans. You should sketch more, it's portable!

Beth Rosenkoetter said...

Nice work!! No one else has responded to this post, except for my friend Jeremy and he sent me some music he just put together, very funky porn-esque.
But back to you...really fantastic stuff there. I love the plaid!