Saturday, June 7, 2008









Okay, so here it is, my first blog. I am feeling a little silly, but as a friend mentioned, this might be a little easier and maybe a little more fun. I am going to do my best from refraining from anything gripe-y, just an occasional posting of the happenings here in Oregon-like I have been doing for my friends back east who I love all so much.
So my first image will simply continue with where I left off in the emails. This is a photo of Haystack Rock (I don't know why they have added the 'rock' to the end of it, but we live in Oregon where pronunciations, spellings and descriptions using the English language are a little skewed). That's Henry way out there. Getting taller every day.

Another lighter photo of Haystack. Off to the right is a monster sand dune that people do some sanding surfing down or just roll down. That is what I have been told.




There is a brew pub that overlooks this view where we like to go for dinners, good beer, and lovely views. It takes an hour to get there, but hey, that's nothing compared to having to drive 3 or 4 hours to get to the shore, right?

The next photo is of a bird called the Common Murre. As you will notice this is a saturated area of bird. This is how they nest-in large groups. The sight is astounding as is the noise that they make.











There are also Pelagic Cormorants nesting in the area also. Pelagic and what I can only see as Red-Faced Cormorants. If anyone can give me a clue, I would sure love to know if I am right. The cormorants I have seen near the Pelagic have red on their faces. That would seem to be a good indicator, right? But the Red-Faced Cormorants, according to my bird book, reside in Alaska.


I've been working a lot in my yard. I have the front yard nearly done, so to speak. I've found some wonderful practically organic mulch and have been using some river rock in the backyard for some paths. I really love working the earth. Especially at my own pace! There is a lot to do to get things just right, which is going to give me all summer to get daily workouts. I like looking at all the other yards in the neighborhood. People take care of their gardens rather well here. Unfortunately I notice a copious amount of spray being used and this bizarre behavior to slice the tops of everything. Trees, bushes, shrubbery, you name it, it has gotten a crew cut. The only reason I can see that this technique isn't questioned is because it actually works here. Things grow so prolifically, all year, that cutting something integral to the growth of a plant doesn't seem to matter. I had a dandelion that grew to 3 feet tall and 3 feet in diameter in less than 2 weeks. This is such a strange place. But I am figuring out how it all works.

The front of our house. I love those Maple trees. They have changed color from red to this lovely purpley green.



Now here is the town of Monmouth. That's pretty much it. I might get a picture of the college sometime. It is a sweet tiny little town. Off to the right is a playground/park (where I have seen them spraying all sorts of great chemicals). They have bands play there in the summer a few times a month.

There are some great buildings in this little town. The best one taken over by a tanning salon. I am not sure I get it the whole tanning salon thing, but apparently they get a lot of business. People here are coaxed into believing there is less sun available than most areas. I suppose it's because we are so close to Seattle or Portland or whatever. My bit of griping is coming through, so I will stop. Who knows? Maybe in a year or two I too will be complaining about the lack of sun and cold weather and rain.






I was taking pictures fairly carefully because I have yet to get a digital and have to use the film sparingly. It gets a little expensive. That should change soon though...hurrah for me.
Anyway, I have no idea how I got this next shot, but it is one of those one in, well, at least, 50, that comes out just so.
Of course, I am rooting for the crow.












Last, but not least, a FANTASTIC picture of me doing some landscape painting ala plein aire.


I guess painting is just all right by me!


Love you all. Let me know if this works better than sending out emails. I'm game for whatever is easiest.

Peace Out.



9 comments:

Jason said...

This is the best blog. I am looking forward to reading more as you post.

Beth Laske-Miller said...

Yay! Love seeing the pictures. Kudos on the birds in flight one, that's truly amazing. We actually have the same maple in our front yard and I absolutely love it. Now you've made me feel guilty, I'll have to keep up with my blog more often.

Terry Chouinard said...

My God that's a lot of typing, and lots and lots of imagery. Why are your blog posts so much happier than the emails you send me. You big faker!

So I'm pleased that 1) I was on your initial list and Jack was not, and 2) I posted a comment before Cynthia did. I am the best! I'm not as good as you of course, but that should go without saying.

John Kinney said...

LOVE the blog...miss the gripeing
Go OFF on fake-bakers, not because they are going to get melanoma and shrivel up, but because they do it for vanity's sake...and it's ugly. Makes no sense to me. Also, where's the rant about Starbucks? Don't you live deep in the heart of Starbucks, USA? Well, to thine ownself me true ;we all know you are a nature lover, and that you love all of us individually. But that's only half the story, we want to hear about the mob mentality that is ruining our ecosystem (and yes by our, I mean yours and mine, not Exxon's or McCain's). We want to know how The Man is keeping you down in this quaint little norwestern hamlet. By not including these so-called "darker-sides" of yourself and life, you keep us from knowing the whole story. I can sum up my feeling on this best with an important and relavant tv referrence: After Mrs. Garrett left the Drummonds, she took on her calling as the molder of young girls minds. Although these words never never actually came from her lips, her eyes said them loud and clear "You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have... the facts of life."

Jason said...

I want to know how Beth Laske_Miller has the same maple in her front yard. Am I missing something? Can a tree now be in two places at once?

Beth Rosenkoetter said...

You know it really takes a lot to get them right but aren't we all learning the facts of life?
What you have said reminds me of a couple of other sages on tv. Luke and Bo, you know? They were just two good old boys, couldn't change if they could; they fought the system like two modern-day Robin Hoods.
If that's what it takes, then by golly, I will get out there and post every single itch and gripe I have!
YeeeeeeHaaaawwww!


Yes, and Laske, what are you doing with my tree anyway?

Cynthia said...

I have that same easel. THE EXACT SAME. What are you doing with my easel BETH! Looks to me that Beth Laske-Miller isn't the only Beth that steals things.

Broome said...

I vote for a picture of Henry and Dr. Jason. I am SO going to miss the "boys" growig up. I'll bet Henry is an inch taller already.

Beth Laske-Miller said...

Hey man, you just have to allow for the possibility that the tree *could* exist in 2 places at once.

If I had a decent camera I'd take a picture of the tree and prove it.

How did I only now find these posts accusing me of such arboreal malfeasance?