Wednesday, July 23, 2008





Well, it wasn't real soon after the last post, but I am finally getting around to posting some of my recent work.
I haven't gotten my kiln hooked up yet due to electrical issues with the house. I haven't fired anything for over a year. Sad, really, when I think about it. But I don't know if I have missed it all that much, really. Especially now that I have re-discovered painting. It has been so interesting and so NOT messy, compared to clay, that is.
So here are a couple of landscapes...oh and I apologize for the shoddy photography, but hey, you know what you can do if you want to complain.

















That's all I am showing for now. These two were my most successful, I think. Although I am going back to the one with the pillars and change a few things about the composition. And yes, I know that dock is curved, but I swear to you, it was exactly like that...why I chose to mimic something exactly, now, is beyond me.

Here is the next set. I am, of course, exploring what I can do with birds.
What I am looking at doing here is keeping the bird in some kind of natural environment, or what appears to be natural, but abstracting it a bit. I am trying to simplify the image, but keep its integrity. You can let me know if I have achieved that in any of these. They are studies. The first two, the crow and the Ruby-crowned Kinglet, are the most successful. I like the rest, but I don't feel that I accomplished what I set out to do originally.















This last red one isn't finished. I have some work to do on the legs, some detail perhaps and the background will not stay red. I will share it once it is done.







I'm not sure how I feel about this last one with the three Cedar Waxwings. I'm done with it, because I have already spent a lot of time on it and need to set it aside. I think I like it, but I am not sure. It's a big piece and was the first one of birds I did. Very challenging.
So there you have it. My first post of my work. I really should be posting some of my sketches. I have all sorts of old stuff, but nothing new.
I am smelling cat poo right now, so that must mean that I should be cleaning out a litter box...oh god, now I am hearing some thing hacking something up...why in the world do I have pets?
love to all and all to love,
Beth

3 comments:

Stanley said...

It's a curl up on the couch rainy day here. Not that we need any more rain. A rolling thunder greeted my morning.. oh how I love that sound so much! I just got back from the laundromat and am putting things away, making my bed and just about to curl up with a brand new book that I think you just might adore. It's called The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wreblewski. It's a modern retelling of Hamlet, the author's first book and it took him 15 years to write. I've only just begun and it's already grabbed me. Rave reviews.

I'm soooo glad you're painting. I think I like it better than clay (but don't hold me to it!) I love staring at a painting and the world it creates. I adore the birds.

Hugs,
Stanley

Beth Rosenkoetter said...

Stanley, I just love you so much. mmmmmmmm, thunderstorms. I think we heard thunder here once so far. It was once and only once...don't miss the tornadoes from the Midwest, but miss the sudden downpours and cells of t-storms of the northeast.
As soon as I get a chance I am going out to get that book.
I'm not sure if I like painting over clay...I would like to combine the two in some unique, unusual way. But for the moment, I am appreciating finding my way with paint rather than clay.

love and hugs back,
well, you know, me

Anonymous said...

I love the chubby brown bird! LOVE.