Sunday, July 27, 2008



So, from what people are saying what you see in the sky here is THE indicator that fall is on it's way. Farmers at the Farmers' Market are switching to their fall crops. I took the first two photos around 630 yesterday morning. I was doing yoga outside and was in a resting pose and just stayed in that position there soaking in the clouds.


I can't explain how comforting these clouds are to me. It seems like it has been such a long time. I was afraid I was going to have to wait until the end of August before I saw anything like this again.
After my yoga, I went for a bike ride. So let me share some of the images that I took on this trip with you.
Here you will note the coast range which is to my left as I am riding up the bike path...west of me.
Note the trees in the foreground. all straight, equally spaced and roughly the same height.









There is something about the intentional planting of trees here that just astounds me.


I think it has to do with the juxtaposition of the individual properties and what and how they planted and the sporadic bits of natural landscape left in place. And then of course you have the vastness, that I don't think I will ever get over.








Here is something else I have been trying to find an image of for you. Evergreens in the middle of fields. Granted, these aren't in the middle, but hopefully they give you the idea of the grandness that their presence brings. I am totally lame on the species of all the evergreens around here, so I don't have a clue as to what these are. I think they might be Douglas Fir, but I'm probably just making it up.
The bike path runs about 5 miles south/north from Monmouth to Rickreall (pronounced Rick-reee--allll). The path is on the west side of the road. This is looking on my way back down to Monmouth. Now, how many places are going to have a bike path that has grape vines pouring over it? The vineyard here is Eola Hills and the wine isn't too bad.
Another picture of the path back down to Monmouth. I like this spot because of the pretty purply red maple trees.
Look carefully at this photo. Almost dead center in the far far background you can see the Cascade mountains. The 'hill' closer and more visible is called the South Salem hill(s). Many times when the atmosphere is just so, you can see the Cascades and Mt. Hood (just left of the hills beyond this picture). I think later in the day we were able to see it all, but since it was still very early in the morning, the sun was too low and was still effecting the lighting on the horizon.

So once again, there you have it. A little more of my world. I have so many other things I want to share with you. I need to start taking photos ( a collection, if you will) of all the Datsun trucks, the Toyota trucks, the VW bugs (old school). It sounds silly, but really think about it, back east our vehicles get eaten by salt and extreme weather conditions. Here, there is none of that (weather) so there is a ton of cars from the 70's that are not only still around, but looking relatively good. I also want to get some photos of the crops around here, but that might have to wait until next year. We'll see, right?
Love to all and all to love.

2 comments:

Beth Laske-Miller said...

OK, so your blog has propelled me to request a decent camera for my birthday this year. It has been too long that I have gone without a decent means of capturing the things around me!

Beth Rosenkoetter said...

Yay me and my influence!! Nothing like a decent camera. I should probably read the owner's manual though.