What the hell is wrong with me?
Well, let's get right into then, shall we? Ahhh, Violent Femmes playing...Add it up...good good way to start. Cuz the day after today I will stop and and I will start.
So, I've looked back at all my posts. No, just a few of them. Let's get the personal bullshit out of the way first.
I'm still holding on to that decision I made a long time ago that I'm not sharing with anyone. And it's good.
(don't shoot shoot shoot that thing at me, you know you got my sympathy, but don't shoot shoot shoot that thing at me)
Been thinking about destiny, fate, chaos, signs, omens all that shit lately. Haven't made a decision on what I think about it all yet, so there really isn't anything there to talk about.
Oh! I'm dead tired of pottery. I went to the Museum of Contemporary Craft recently and there was tons of pottery and all I could think was 'seen it, done it, seen it, seen it, done it, glaze from a box, seen it, done it, done it, christ, done it!' I walked away from there feeling exhausted with functional ware. AND there was some kind of sculpture at the front doors that I swear I'd seen over an hundred times throughout the country, in colleges, in galleries, in shops, in yards, in the garbage. So where do I take my clay art? It's a good question, thanks for asking. I could keep doing the birds. I like the birds. They are raw and telling of the species. I like birds, duh. But it's far from fine art, no? yes, I will tell you right now, yes it is. Now I just need to find direction. Get myself out of the niche that I've been placed by my own hands. I don't think I will ever get completely away from birds. There is something I see in them that I want to see in myself I suppose. Until I find that, I don't know, I gotta keep creating them. Say, here's an image of a painting I did recently. Chickity check it. Unintentional birdies in there. See? I can't get away from it.

I think I want to paint some more. I didn't have the urge after I graduated, but things are swimming around in my head so much lately, I gotta get it out.
That's another thing, related to art, the way I've stifled myself. I can't blame anyone else, mind you. I have to blame myself. I let things happen. I was the one who got caught up in the whole role as mother and wife and nurturer. It's what we are told to do. I know, I know, we don't have to listen, but think about it, women are damned if we leave our families to pursue endeavors that take all of our time and energy and damned if we choose to do otherwise. Ah, shit, I am getting really base here with what I am trying to say. It's a social construct so deeply ingrained in many women that we push things down and wait for decades before we can let it all out and by then, well, we've forgotten, right? So much more than that too, at least for me. I could go into daddy issues, yoda issues(most of you know who I am talking about), but I don't feel like it right now. The most important thing here is that I am searching for a way to get myself out of this stalemate I've created. Weird and disappointing that I got to this point where my mind is a blank when it comes to my own work.
I'm struggling to not only to find the balance (My friend Beth Laske-Miller seems to have it going on like donkey kong), but also to get those creative juices flowing like they'd never been able to before. I'm cool if I don't come into my own for another decade, but I won't if I don't start now.
At Last by Etta James just started. Okay, I skipped over a Dead Kennedy song, it was a little too much for me. Ahhh, Etta...
Hey, you know what? I'm gonna post some pictures of a fantastic sunset at Baskett Slough. It was a good evening to be there, full of pipers and peeps and herons and egrets and beautiful beautiful sky.
.
Hmmm, what else could I say? There's so much on my mind lately. So little focus for any one thing. (Nice, Butthole Surfers is now playing Dracula in Houston) Focus, Direction with a capital D, have all been issues, you know that, of course, I am going to be like that, but now it's time to stop, right?
Oh, hey, I am working towards getting an art center started in Monmouth. I think there will be ample support for it to get it started and once it is established then it will get the backing it needs to stay afloaty float. Got some good people working with me this time. NO potheads. That jerk still hasn't paid me what she owes me. Yeah, yeah, I wrote her off a long time ago...fucking asshole. (see? gotta focus on this too, which will most definitely be good for the community)
Okay, so, I have touched on a few things. Hopefully I won't be a stranger anymore. HOPEFULLY, I will post some damn pictures for you soon of stuff and things. And hopefully my rants will at least be a little more cohesive than what you just got. Just remember you are awesome and I love you.
Love to all and all to love,
BeF
6 comments:
Glad to see you back. Since I skipped out on Facebook, I've missed your voice.
Thanks, I've missed hearing you too. Well, here we are then!
You should start painting again. Why wouldn't you have the nerve to after graduating? Because you no longer have assignments telling you what to basically do?
I know you probably have more confidence in your pottery... but you're paintings are awesome too. ;o)
And don't freak out so much!
(I know... it's hard to do, plus the one person that probably gets the most easily overwhelmed and just spews verbal diarrhea in your direction is the one saying this.)
You've stifled yourself over the years, but you're not dead yet. You still have plenty of time to work into where you're comfortable. We are all works in progress. :oP
I'm not dead, yet. That is truly uplifting Marzipan! You can be so wise sometimes...sometimes. Love you and you know why!
Me? Balanced? Glad it comes across that way, sure doesn't feel like it sometimes. And I LOVE Donkey Kong. I feel like I've had to fight tooth & nail to get my bit of time to be creative, other things slip occasionally as a result . . . (who needs clean clothes, really?)
I've also struggled with the question of "what to do?" It was a hard transition, after having either a professor or boss giving me assignments & guidelines. It's part of my personality that I kinda hate sometimes. Things that I would truly consider "my own" are few & far between, though I love them dearly. Baby steps & persistence! I am finding that, for the first time ever, if I start a project & don't like where it's headed, I will either rework it or start over until I *do* like it. Previously I'd either toss it or stick it in a closet. So that feels good, clearing out some creative constipation :)
It's hard to focus (duh, already said that like a million times)for me. There are so many things I want to do and I want to get started right now on all of it. But I know what you're talking about when it comes to starting projects that end up not feeling right. It is with great relief when I can destroy something and start over, or at understand that the first draft doesn't necessarily have to be the last.
You're working and working hard and I admire that, especially since you have two children. I only have one, and he's old enough now that he spends most of his afternoons playing outside with his peeps. I guess I am going through some kind of transition with not needing to be 'here' all the time for him. I can sit in my studio for hours working if I choose and he knows where to find me. Perhaps it's the freedom that is a little overwhelming. Perhaps.
Post a Comment