Friday, June 13, 2008


I've been listening to people complain about the horrible winter we had here. I have been hearing people drone on about the lack of sun. I have gotten into many disagreements on whether or not I will adjust and find this place just as unappealing as everyone else who has lived here their entire lives do.
The winter was fantastic. ANYONE on the east side of the Rockies, barring possibly those in the southern states, but even they wouldn't complain so much, would have found this winter mild. Granted we had snow in April, but hey, who doesn't from time to time, and it was gone before it hit the ground. I've mentioned before the sun problem. There isn't one.
If you ever hear me complain about the weather here, I will expect a plane ticket back east at the most miserable time of the year for whatever part of the country that you choose and a good slap in the face to get over it.
BUT there has been one thing that I have found is utterly true about this place that I can say I am not all that pleased about. Allergies. And it is unique to this area--the Willamette Valley. Fecund is my favorite word for this place. Amazing and beautiful as it is, right now, the pollen is so thick that they say you can see a haze of it over the fields at times. I haven't risked nose and throat for that experience yet. Maybe next year when I have an allergy regime in place that works.
So why I am talking about all this? I haven't had the chance to get out much. I just got a new bike and a new digital camera and am ready to ride the bike friendly paths and roads and find the most exquisite vistas and views for you. But I am not. I am staying close to home for another week or so--they say by the end of June allergies go away. I met someone whose family, when she was a child, rented a house on the coast for the entire month of June just to avoid one year of allergies. This sounds like a delicious idea to me...one worth investing in.
So what you are seeing are photos of my studio space. Pretty luxurious, huh? And that light? You can't get much better than that. It started out just for the clay, but now I have halved it. One side for painting, one side for clay. We'll see how long it lasts before the two are somehow combined into something strange and beautiful.
I was going to add a picture of me, but my hair looks ridiculous, so you are just going to have to wait. If you need to look at me, check out my profile picture...it's a nice one. I think I am going to grow my hair long again, not that it is short now, but...
good day to you.

No comments: