Friday, August 15, 2008

So, I noticed I start my little blogs here with 'so' often. Oh well.

So, I took a bike ride this morning. I haven't had one, not even one with Henry for a long time, two weeks, I think. It was good to get out and do it again. I had that funny bouncy feeling after I got off my bike when I got home.
Bike riding is a good time to think and specifically to think of what I might post on this Online Journal of mine. As I started out, the first thing I saw was a number of crows convening in a field. Lots of them hanging around with one in particular on a dirt clump that was just slightly higher than the rest. Then I saw some black birds, I can never remember if they are Brewer's or Rusty, and right now I am too lazy to go get my book... which is right behind me so, hang on a sec....AHHH, BREWER'S Blackbirds. I thought I would come up with some kind of witticism or deep insight about these birds and their habits and how they are gathering, but then I reached the time of day when the sun just popped over the horizon and was giving me the clearest view (yes, I forgot my camera) of Mt. Hood I have ever had and I thought...Fuck it.



So today, it will be about fires.
I went on a hike a couple of weekends ago up in the Cascades. My first expedition into the mountains really. It was pretty amazing.
What made it so interesting, though, wasn't the lush greenery and the canopy of the trees, no, quite the opposite. The place where we went hiking had been hit by a fire about 5 years ago and looks as though it is just starting to recover. I suppose I will start downloading photos and then maybe make comments if they come to me. Unfortunately, I have forgotten some of what I wanted to say, because it was a few weeks ago. The above picture is of our local fire danger level indicator. As you can see it is on EXTREME. It has gotten in the hundreds here for three days now and is very dry. I am waiting for someone's lawn to ignite.

This is Black Butte. I am finally learning the names of some of these mountains. You can see how the water in the branches of the trees was simply boiled out, curling them in such a grotesque way.










Some of the trees looked as though if you touched them you could still feel the heat.
















Here's something I found interesting. in one part of the forest, just one part, not the whole forest or bits here and there, and this was a 4.5 mile loop, so we got a good look at the forest, there were trees covered in moss. Spanish moss? I don't know. I am not really up on my mosses.




Three Fingered Jack is what that mountain is called.
It's the meadow I wanted to show you. Here we are trampling through this eerie empty landscape and we come upon this verdant landscape. This lovely place lush and green and full of life. By the way, the weather was in the low 70's--just as perfect as it looks.





And yes, that is snow. The kids, Henry and our friends' daughter had been seeing snow all day off in the distance on the peaks of mountains, so they were pretty stoked that they were able to play in some of their own.

The next photo is one that I hope will get the stunning image across that I saw. The expanse of this fire. I had never seen a place that had been a 'forest fire'. I never realized...
It's simply amazing, beautiful, and frightening.
That's Mt Washington in the background. It is actually quite pointy and flat at the peak.
























One area that made it through and recuperating well.










And one area that never will...
at least these trees won't; there is plenty of undergrowth and saplings that will someday take over.






I want to take pictures of my neighborhood some time soon for you. It's strange to see these well manicured lawns that are dead looking. Sure, some people are stupid enough to water and get that vibrant green, and even some will water and get no results. But it is the colors and crazy ornamental trees that I would like to share. I've never seen so much success with gardening that I have seen here. Petunias? Oh, we've got them, but they aren't just a smattering of cute little flowers, these things grow like bushes here. I will try to get some shots this year, if not, there is always next year, right?

So I am still thinking of love, love and more love.

Best to all and all to best.

3 comments:

John Kinney said...

So, I'm reading your Blog and I'm struck with the strong urge to burn something. I'm not a pyro, so I don't really know whats going on with that, but whatever.
We've had a series of shootings here in Cincy in the last couple of days, large crowds of people being fired upon, one in retaliation of another, of course. I'm thinking we need one of those warning signs to predict the liklihood of a gang war igniting. So keep complaining about your non-green neighbors and their disgustingly green lawns, while I duck (notice I started this comment with "so").

Beth Rosenkoetter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth Rosenkoetter said...

God you are such a smart ass.
I said more but decided that it was useless to argue with you.
So keep your smart ass self safe and your boy too.